Letters

There is something so fun and neat about getting a paper letter or card from someone. When Dr. Coyne handed out letters to all of her students after class on Wednesday, it made me think about other letters I have received in my life. First, I found Dr. Coyne's letter very touching and comforting after this week's tragedy. The fact that Dr. Coyne took the time to write a note to us made it obvious that she cared for our wellbeing. Second, I think back to all of the birthday cards I have gotten over my lifetime. I always loved seeing the different types of cards my parents would pick. I was grateful for the loving notes my parents would leave in addition to the cards pre-written message. Lastly, I thought back to my senior year of high school. I had a wonderful math teacher. She cared so much about her students and would bend-over-backward for them. Our last day of class before Christmas break, she pulled out a large stack of envelopes. Each one addressed to a different student. She had handwritten over a hundred personalized letters. The letter was so kind and complimentary. It meant so much me. I still have this letter in my bedroom in my childhood home. Even though letters are not a kind of media you typically think of, they are a great form of media. For some reason, a message on paper feels a little stronger than one over screen.  

Comments

  1. I love receiving physical letters! My friends and I like to leave each other little notes at work and I hang all of them up on my wall. It's really a special feeling to know someone took the time to write out something special for you by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! Dr. Coyne’s letter meant so much to me, I’m glad you could have that reflection time

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular